The training program is part of The Muttart Foundation’s commitment to building capacity within the charitable sector.
In some cases, rather than charities sending all their staff to separate courses or workshops, it may make more sense for a group of charities to hire a trainer, instructor, or consultant to conduct a joint training session on a specific topic of importance to the charities involved.
Funding for this type of training initiative may be available.
To qualify for this funding, the participating organizations must all be registered charities that fall into one of the following categories:
- Social service organizations in Alberta or Saskatchewan;
- Early childhood education and care organizations in Alberta or Saskatchewan;
- Regional or national umbrella organizations that serve the charitable sector as a whole; or
- Regional or national umbrella organizations that serve the early childhood education and care sub-sector.
Generally, training grants are awarded in amounts less than $5,000, but in exceptional circumstances larger grants may be made. Funding may cover course or workshop fees, instructor or consultant fees, room rental, and on occasion the consultant’s travel or accommodation expenses.
It is preferable if courses or programs are offered by instructors from a publicly funded educational institution, a non-profit organization or a registered charity.
Prior to the application being submitted, the two (or more) charities involved in the joint training initiative must identify the staff and key volunteers who will be participating in the training.
What Won’t be Considered
- The training needs of only one charity
- Conferences or workshops that are open to people outside the applicant charity
- Applications initiated by the consultant providing the course or workshop
- Applications that have not first identified the specific charities participating in the training and the number of participants from each of those charities
- Costs incurred (or committed to) before the award of the grant
- Training that is required for mandatory certification or accreditation
- Conferences, symposia, or summits
Please submit applications to the Foundation at least one month in advance of the course or workshop start date to provide sufficient time for a review of your request.